Please Pardon My MisEducation

Friday, February 03, 2006

"Is that a schooner?"

Last night or maybe the night before, I was explaining several ideas I had for spots here on blogger.com. I was spouting out ideas left and right. Many of which will soon come to fruition.

Looking at me strangely, Rhiana asks, “So where do I rank in all this?”

I had noted at least four maybe even five ideas when she stopped me with that strange look.

“Oh, well I included you in the profile.”

“The dogs got a story and all I get is a spot in the profile?” Directly followed by, “What am I chopped liver?”

Right now is when I usually plug in that entertaining line from the now infamous Citicard commercial, “Thank you?” You know the one where the guy sticks his foot in his mouth and immediately redeems himself not by saying “I’m sorry”, but by endearingly saying “Thank you.” Hey if it worked for that guy.

Anyway, Rhiana and I both use “Thank you” quite often. It’s one of our many quirky inside jokes.

So today I’m writing about Rhiana. Rhiana is going to be my wife soon. We are in the midst of planning a wedding for June 17th. It has been a long engagement and I think we are both of the mindset that if we had to do it again we’d probably just elope. We are going ahead with a more traditional (although it is really less traditional) wedding so that we can celebrate our union together with our families. We are getting married on the water as opposed to a church, which we both agree is more tuned to our lifestyle. We also agree that we want our ceremony to be a more “friends around us” type of celebration rather than cookie cutter “Hi, thanks for coming, please leave your gifts right here” ordeal. We are soliciting a warm and inviting atmosphere. Our planning has gone very well in my opinion. We’ve had a few spots that were pretty stressful, but now we’re working together in stride. We’ve carved up a lot of the vendors; we’ve made a few decisions here and there including one to be robbed by our photographers. Not that I don’t appreciate a very good photographic eye, but the per-hour rate for a photographer in New England is “Out-freakin-rageous!” But as Rhiana is quick to point out when I gripe and groan, I put my signature on the contract too, so at some point I must have thought that overpaying for pictures was a really good idea. We are down to just a few months left and I really am looking forward to the wedding now. The details that we continue to pin down are constantly shaping the mental images I have in my head for June 17th.

Now that you’ve heard about our wedding let me tell you what she might tell you about herself if she were typing this blog. She has a beautiful smile and long naturally curly brown hair. She loves Dave Mathews and Phish. She loves dogs and has trouble watching Animal Planet because of it. Her favorite shows are Sex in the City, That 70’s Show, and Laguna Beach (although she might deny the last one).
She was born and raised in Rhode Island and went to Providence College where she was a member of the PC sailing team. Please be careful using the word “schooner” around her. She is an only child and works for her parents as a "Jack of All Trades". She is a talented artist and enjoys painting art for us to use around the house. She enjoys cooking from Rachel Ray and Giada De Laurentiis recipes.

Finally let me finish by explaining to you why schooners are so annoying to Rhiana. She is schooled in the craft of sailing boats. She tells me that she can sail the small ones, I believe those are referred to as lazors, which are a type of dinghy. Those are the one or two man deals that move briskly across the water. We live close to the bay, so I would estimate the number of boats that we see on a regular basis is anywhere from “way too many” all the way to “boats outnumber people ‘round here.” One day, at the beginning of our relationship, we were driving along and I blurted out “Is that a schooner?” I was referring to a large boat that was obviously driven by an outboard motor. I think I almost did it intentionally because I had an idea that, at very minimum, a schooner has a sail. The vessel in question showed no signs of having a mast or the option to have one. Needless to say, I got a brief explanation and was told “No, that is not a schooner.”

From that day forward it has been my running annoyance. Whenever we pass by a boat I ask,

“Is that a schooner?”

One of these days I’m going to get slapped. And deservedly so.



1 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    Judith. Thank you for your interest. I responded by emailing you. Thanks for stopping by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home