Please Pardon My MisEducation

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bracketeering - Opening Round.

March is half way over and there is yet to be a game played in the 2006 Edition of the NCAA tournament.

The "Madness" is surrounding us all. And it's nearly time for it to close the circle.

I've taken quite some time to address this subject here in blog land. I've debated on many occasions just how to write about it. I think I've finally come to the conclusion, and I was able to reach that conclusion by selecting to print a copy of this year's NCAA post season tournament bracket.

One look showed me something I had never seen before regarding the future of Indiana University basketball.

Before I get too far into the story, let me give you my credits regarding my authority to speak about Indiana University basketball. First, the answer to the obvious is "no," I did not attend classes in Bloomington. I grew up on a heading about forty five minutes due east of Bloomington that you can follow on a map labeling Indiana 46. I know every curve of SR46 between Little Nashville and "the bypass" like the back of my hand. As for the road between Nashville and home, well let's just say the forecast calls for straight roads and slightly hilly just outside of Columbus. I've got an envelope full of IU ticket stubs. I've been to Oaken Bucket games and I've seen the General standing on the sidelines more times than I have seen Mike Davis in Assembly Hall. In 1987 I was probably the only kid in a suburban Atlanta year book wearing a red and white shirt donning the "IU" insignia. For those of you familiar with Kirkwood, let's just say I've got a few sunken Bizmarks under my belt. One of my life long friends, C. Bob, served as the President of the Indiana University Student Body in 1996. And to ride his coat tails I'll say that he'd probably feel comfortable telling you that I could speak at least semi-coherently about IU hoops.

Today I am finally breaking my silence on the subject of Coach Mike Davis. As a life long follower of "the program" my feeling towards Mike Davis the coach have been a mixed bag. I, like many, was skeptical of his acceptance of the job at Indiana directly after an abrupt end to the Coach Knight era. I, like many, rejoiced in the miracle run to the championship game during Coach Davis' second year. I, like many, cringed when Coach Davis lost control of his emotions during the closing seconds of a nationally televised game versus Indiana's most formidable rival. I, like many, carried a laundry list of complaints in my back pocket over the last few seasons as the team's coached by Davis struggled to win. I, like many, think Mike Davis is a stand up guy, whom found himself in a "no win" situation at Indiana. Finally I, like many, felt that this season would be his last with IU.

Approximately one month ago Mike Davis set his own personal madness aside by stepping down from his lofty position with Indiana University. A deep sigh of releif has come out of Hoosier Nation and probably even a deeper sigh from Coach Davis. The pressure had been mounting on him for years...yes that's right years. The Hoosiers, prior to this season, had last made an appearance in the "Big Dance" during the 2002-2003 season. Additionally, the Hoosier had suffered two consecutive losing seasons. For those of you not familiar with Indiana basketball it is difficult to explain the perceived dire state of affairs that has been IU basketball over the last few seasons. It would take me an entire blog entry in and of itself to explain completely. Regardless, you should know that a great majority of IU's following had been pushing, politicking, or even financing through booster contributions (or the withholding of them) to gain support for the removal of Mike Davis.

I know what you are thinking. "Ugly situation." And it is. For that matter it has been for quite some time.

And do you know who was smart enough to not make it his problem anymore? Mike Davis, that's who.

On the afternoon that Coach Davis announced his resignation (effective at the end of this season) I watched the news conference via the internet. Coach Davis handled himself in a professional manner and a very humane demeanor. It was understood that in removing himself as the basketball coach at Indiana, the student athletes that he coached were paying the highest price. I could read it in the man's expressions, the only cares he had at that moment were for everyone surrounding him and none for himself.

That moment defined the remainder of Coach Davis' tenure at IU. He had several games remaining, including the Big Ten Tournament. To be exact IU concluded the men's basketball season with seven games, winning five. An impressive finish for a group of college students whom not only were dealing with the competition and academics, but also had watched their leader walked to the plank. The strong finish earned the Hoosiers a bid to the NCAA tournament for the first time in three seasons. A statement that they have not given up.

The future for the Hoosiers remains a questions mark. The only certainty at this point is that they will be opening the tournament this weekend with nothing to lose. That is a situation Indiana rarely finds itself in, however I feel good things are yet to come for this group of Hoosiers. Some say that Mike Davis will virtually make or break his next coaching job with the results of this weekend. I believe that he has already proven himself worthy of a coaching position, but if winning three games in the tournament is what it takes then I'd be glad to see his team accomplish that as well.

This has become a long winded entry, so I've decided to break my commentary into several excerpts. I promised to tell you why the bracket inspired me to write about this. Read on and you will see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home