Please Pardon My MisEducation

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Teacher's Landing

Over the years I've been in a good number of classrooms at various levels. Some of them influenced me to do well in school. Some influenced my music and my extra curricular activity. Looking back I've had some wonderful experiences in school, as well as some not so wonderful.

Many of the teachers through the years knew my older sister, Wendy, before they knew me. It wasn't uncommon for me to hear, "You have big shoes to fill young man." As it came to pass, I never exactly filled those shoes. Instead I put on a pair of my own. In doing so, I never received a word of comparison when I chose my own directions. There is a lot to be said for that. Those teachers were very good to let me live outside of the shadow of my sister.

Many of the teachers only knew me, through music or sports. It was encouraging to know that I stood on my own. Many teachers gave up hope, but a few teachers did not. And one in particular did not.

Next week my first publication as a freelance journalist (if that's what you would call it) runs in the Reader. I want to extend some thanks to those educators and administrators that helped me to become a better person and encouraging me to be the person I am today regardless of my scholastic acheivement.

So here goes.

Thank you to Mrs. Ritchey for welcoming me to school and helping me to feel comfortable.
Thank you to Mr. Stockdell for recognizing me as a person and not just a student.
Thank you to Mr. Pemberton for teaching me music and why it is important to any one person.
Thank you to Mr. Bagan for teaching me that honesty is the best policy.
Thank you to Mr. Green for teaching me to "not write in the book" and that war is real even when we can't see it.
Thank you to Mr. Peters for prodding me and not judging me by word's my sister said.
Thank you to Mr. Dutton for never giving up on me...ever.
Thank you to Mrs. Young for letting me know that I would never need to be as good as my sister because I was my own person.
Thank you to Mr. Nay for igniting a fire under my ass. Underacheivement rests in the eye of the beholder.
Thank you to Mr. Galbraith for the best English class I ever had...and for talking about 5.0 litre Mustangs and Goldwing motorcycles.
Thank you to Mr. Hauan for giving me confidence in myself.
Thank you to Mr. Houston for more than I can bring myslef to write here and being fair enough to have done what you did.

Before I close, I must thank one last educator. You know that question that you hear every now and again?

"If you had to choose one teacher that influenced you the most...who would it be?"

Yeah that question. Well...here's the person I would name and why.

Thank you to Charles "Butch" Wade for teaching me that if you never quit you can accomplish every goal that you set before yourself. Mr. Wade was one of my middle school teachers. He was also Coach Wade. He taught me basketball and football. He rewarded me for not giving up on myself. I would not be where I am today without the influence he had on my as a student, athlete, and most importantly as a person.

Thanks Coach Wade...and thanks to all of the teachers and administrators listed here.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bite me, Peters.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    Now Wendy, you could've left your name with that...although I'm sure Mr. Peters will appreciate the reminder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home