Please Pardon My MisEducation

Monday, May 29, 2006

A Call to Drums

With Saturday’s mail I received a copy of “DCI Today.” It is a magazine that is produced three times per year by Drum Corps International. I can only imagine that they got my name and mailing address from Ticketmaster as Rhiana and I attended the semi finals last year.

The magazine stirred quite a few memories. Yes…memories of that “one time, at band camp.”

DCI is a different animal though. Yes it involves employing many of the same skill sets that are applied in marching band. However, the level of skill and commitment is much greater. To compare let’s just say that high school marching is to DCI what the Toledo Mudhens are to the New York Yankees.

During my four year stint with the Columbus East Olympian Spirit Marching Band(yes, I know…it’s a mouthful), I was lucky enough to bond with several friends that I still have to this day. Many of the friends I made during those four marching seasons also shared my interest in DCI. We all had our favorites…Some preferred the home team (and now extinct) Star of Indiana. Others preferred more traditional corps like The Cavaliers and The Phantom Regiment. A few liked the jazzy showboating corps like the Blue Coats and the Velvet Knights. There were always the newbie’s (at the time) the Crossmen and the Colts. And of course there were the pillars…The Madison Scouts, The Cadets of Bergen County, and my secret favorite The Blue Devils.


For a short time I held an interest in marching in DCI. I felt I had the talent and the ability, but for some reason or another decided never to do it. I had friends march with “The Star,” “The Cavies,” and the Santa Clara Vanguard. I applied and was invited to attend first tryouts for TSOI, The Glassmen, and The Blue Coats. I never applied for the Blue Devils system. At the time they were one of the few corps that you started early with a lower level, minor league version of the corps and worked your way up. When I found this out a year before the maximum age limit (22) my heart was nearly crushed.

Although the years have furiously reeled off (much like the closing sequences of Roman Images) since I last participated in any type of marching organization I still maintain a very deep attachment and appreciation of marching bands and DCI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home