Please Pardon My MisEducation

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Random Musings

Musical Reconnect

“S-A-F-E-T-Y…….SAFETY DANCE!” We can dance if we want to. This week The Safety Dance found it’s way on to my I-pod. Along with some other fun favorites…Space Oddity by Bowie, Don’t Fear the Reaper - Ceasars, Blister in The Sun - Violent Femmes, Champagne Supernova – Oasis, Creep – Radiohead, Loser – Beck, Mr. Wendel – Arrested Development, New Sensation – INXS, Brian WilsonBare Naked Ladies. I also added a few other oldies. One new one that is absolutely haunting is Breathe Me by Sia. It was the closing track in the final episode of Six Feet Under.

The Dogs

Buca hurt his back this week. We suspect playing with Kayla over the weekend that they got a little too rough. Kayla is doing well. She has been very pushy since Buca is getting a lot of attention due to his injury. We got them a new can of tennis balls…its fun to see the two of them spring to life when the air decompresses out of a fresh tube of fuzzy greens.

The Wedding

The wedding is nearing. Please everyone cut out the jokes. I was in the bathroom here at work doing my business at the stand up and a guy walks up and uses the one next to me… “tick tock tick tock.” Yeah that’s funny pal. You’re a real joker aren’t you? The wedding invitations are in the mail and apparently everyone at Rhiana’s dentist office knows who I am. I went in for a cleaning the other day. “Oh…you must be Jeremy. We’re expecting you.”

Rhiana

Rhiana is doing well. She seems to be getting more relaxed about the wedding. Some aspects are still in grind it out mode, but most parts are going as planned. She went in for a dress fitting the other day. She felt good about how it fit. She is busy with work and the wedding and has recently decided to take on a second job checking in on a set of labs (other than ours) during the day on her lunch hour.

The House

We painted the walls of the second bedroom and we are planning to use it for a den after the wedding. The front yard continues to be a disaster. We had grubs last summer and because the previous owner moved out two months before we moved in the yard went to waste. Now it is just a wasteland of weeds and dirt. I am half tempted to till it all under and start fresh.

TV

Not much TV watching going on with the spring weather coming in to its own. 70’s Show is wrapping up an eight year run soon. Rhi and I are both sad for that. We’ve recently watched Proof which was horrible and The Constant Gardner. I’m not a big Ralph Fiennes fan, but I have to say this film hit home much like Hotel Rwanda did. While my father was in town last week we watched Good Night and Good Luck. I was impressed with the cinematography, but some might argue that I am easily impressed.

Work

Work is work. Same cubicle…different day.

The Fam

Dad drove in last week and brought some amazing cabinets in for Rhi and I as our wedding gifts. They are beautiful. Mom is doing well and reports that Grandma is bored. Wendy bought a new car and Matt is enjoying climbing in the spring in Arizona. Lesley and Brad are doing well and looking forward to visiting for the wedding.

Dreams

Last night I had a dream that I was driving Rhiana’s wedding dress to the wedding. When I arrived to the location it was a warehouse in a very urban setting. Her Uncle Armand was there and he took the dress, but somehow it got dropped on the ground. Not good I know, but it was only a dream. I’ve had several dreams about visiting Africa recently. I attribute that to our screening of The Constant Gardner..

Sports

The Sox knocked the crap out of the Yankees last night. Barry Bonds is going to break Babe Ruth’s record. I don’t mind that so much, but I cringe at the thought of him breaking Hank Aaron’s record. I wish the MLB players association would step up on this one and allow everyone to just walk Bonds for the remainder of his career. John Daly wrote another book professing his gambling addiction has cost him nearly 12 million dollars since 1995. My thoughts on that… “Screw you John Daly. We all know how your story is going to end…” --- “Today John Daly found dead in hotel room with a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and his gambling debt receipts in the other. Daly apparently died from a heart attack.”

Writing

I am still waiting on a check from the Reader to write for June. I submitted the first story nearly two weeks ago. They also managed to put the wrong picture with my first blog. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The World

I feel like Billy Joel did in the late eighties/early nineties. “We didn’t start the fire…it was always burnin… since the worlds been turning……..” Rhiana and I have been talking about kids lately and if (or when) we will have any. I’m really not so sure about bringing a child into this world. We haven’t decided anything yet. When I was growing up the problems were killer bees, acid rain, and Muammar al-Gaddafi. And today? Well now there’s global warming, economic uncertainty thanks to China, and we still haven’t been able to find Osama Bin Laden. How is it we can find Saddam hiding in a “spider hole”, yet we can’t manage to find a man whom sends us a video conference tape every 6 months or so? Thank God the Bush administration is finally almost over.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dropping the dress in your dream is probably just anxiety...

    But imagine if your dream was what I THOUGHT I read:

    "I was WEARING Rhi's dress to the wedding" - now that would be a bad sign!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home